Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Robert Scott-Norton - Dark Corners 01: The Correction Floor


It has been a while since I've finished this book but I still remember it pretty well. Mostly because it was the kind I simply couldn't put down. It was really great to read, the text flowed beautifully and the story was really engaging. Which was, honestly, really surprising. The book falls into the supernatural genre as well as horror. I do like horror, but most of the time, the main character is a girl which I don't really like. So this book was a nice surprise in this regard - the main character was a young man named Seth. 

Most of the book takes place in a haunted asylum. I like that. I like horrors that take place in abandoned buildings. Be it a school, an asylum, a hospital, or just a normal house. Or a castle. That could be an interesting read too. Though to be honest, most of my experience with horror stories comes in the form of movies or fanfiction (or anime). And I'm very picky about my movie horrors. It has to be really good and I prefer psychological horror instead of gory ones. All the bloodbath horrors just seem too fake. It's not scary, it's just gross. I don't mind blood or death and killing, but it has to feel real. 

But back to the book. I really enjoyed it and as I have already stated, I really liked the story. To give you a bit of an idea, the MC is roped into a job that involves performing a haunted-house tour for some clients of his employer. The MC has some weird powers and is very receptive to the supernatural. Things go to shit and some things from MC's childhood are revealed as well as some stuff about the employer and his son that is co-hosting the tour. 

And the book has at least one sequel. I think. Yes, it does. It's the first book in a trilogy. I have, so far, only read the first book but I do plan to read the rest of it as well. It may take some time, I have way too many books, thankfully, some of them are audiobooks so they at least will read themselves because I do like to multitask. 

But when I get to it, I will write my thoughts about it so that you can better decide if you want to read it or not. 

And yes, I do recommend this book. Especially if you like a bit of supernatural horror to brighten your day. Also, there's a lot of doorways in the book. So maybe don't read it if you have a door phobia (Does something like that even exist?).

Well, see you next time. 


~AnnElfwind

Written on the 3rd of March, 2022


Edit 18th of May, 2022

So, now that I have re-read what I wrote here, and actually looked at the book cover, I really need to get my hands on the second book in this series. It was just that great. It has been months since I've finished this one and I still remember it pretty well. And, well, that should really tell you something. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sice jsem se ještě furt nedostala k těm dalším dílům, ale zajímavý to rozhodně je. Je to jedna z těch knih, který člověk nemůže položit protože prostě nutně musí vědět, co se stane dál a jak to dopadne.

      Delete