Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Ancient Detective [2020]

 


Okay. Let me first say one thing. 

I CALLED IT. I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Thanks. Now, that statement won't tell you anything. At least not if you didn't see the drama. And even then, it might not tell you anything. But I just had to say it. 

As for the drama. I'm hoping for season 2. No idea if we'll get one or not, but I'm hoping. The drama itself, it's pretty good. The main character is called Jian Bu Zhi. He can't remember a certain part of his life and is trying to figure out what happened in Shenij Valley. Mainly because he's trying to uncover his father's killer. 

There was a fight in Shenji Valley and it has four survivors. Jian is trying to learn what they know. But they seem to keep dying before he can interrogate them. And along the way, he solves mysteries. Because he's a detective damn it! 

And he also meets some friends and a love interest that I could have done without. Frankly, the pairings are the one big issue I have with this show. 

So, his best friend and brother - Zhao Wo Huan, love interest Zhan Shi Qi and the love interest of Zhao - Ming Yue. Then we get Ye Xiao Xiao who is a doctor. And that is another big part of the drama. A race for Jian to find out what happened in Shenji Valley with enough time to get treated so that he doesn't die. Because, he was poisoned in the first episode or so, and then a technique called the cold palm or something similar was used to stop the poison from spreading. But it's all slowly killing him. And the only person who knows how to reverse it lives in Heiwu Ridge. But Jian is stubborn and wants to first find out what happened to his father, how he died. 

And he's also hunted by an assassin organization because he accidentally acquired something of theirs. 

The timeline itself is pretty straightforward. Case after case, person after person (only they keep dying before he can talk to them), and then finally, at the end, he gets to confront one of the four who were at Shenji Valley. Only to be told that some secrets are better forgotten and the guy kills himself, taking the knowledge to his grave. 

Then Jian gets cured and Ming Yue is revealed to be something else than most people thought. Well, the audience will know this for about 15 episodes at this point, but the characters don't and only learn it at the end. 

And then we get a reveal. Just us, the audience. The characters don't know this. And this is what I screamed about at the beginning. 

SPOILER AHEAD, BIG ONE!

Because Jian Bu Zhi is not Jian Bu Zhi but Wang Hua, the killer from Shenji Valley. and I FUCKING CALLED IT! 

SPOILER END!

Okay. Still, I prefer Jian Bu Zhi to Wang Hua. 

And now the thing that I have an issue with. The pairings. I don't really care about the Ming Yue/Zhao Wo Huan pairing. But Jian being paired together with Zhan Shi Qi, nope. Frankly, I would have paired him with Ye Xiao Xiao. Those two are my favorite characters and I wouldn't mind seeing them together. Alas, the drama isn't BL and there's only one fanfic so far and it's a crossover between a bazillion of fandoms and decidedly not what I'm looking for. 

Anyway. Great drama, hoping for season 2, go watch it, you're missing out. 

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 17th of October, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment