Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Resident Evil 4 HD


 I'm playing too much Resident Evil 4. I got myself the HD version from steam after finding out that my old version was not working correctly. It was a bummer, I liked that one. It had everything unlocked and all. So, bummer. And I didn't even remember how to unlock half the things. I knew how to unlock the typewriter gun and also how to unlock the plaga weapon. I'm not gonna be unlocking that one again. I only used it like once or twice. I don't like it. But I absolutely had to have the handcannon. And well… Unlocking that is quite the pain in the ass. My ass specifically. I hated having to unlock it again. Because let's face it, getting that 60k score on all characters on all of the maps in the mercenaries is pretty hard. I mean, not that hard with Wesker and Ada. And well… Hunk somehow managed too. But Leon and Krauser were a pain on the last map. Horrible! Let me tell you! At least I knew that you can only get two of the giant chainsaw men. Thank god for small miracles… 

But hey, I have it all. Well, sans the plaga weapon. I didn't bother with that. But at least I have also unlocked the special 2 costume. I need that, I need invincible Ashley. That way, I don't have to bother protecting her. She's quite safe in that armor. 

Now, I have played through everything at least once at this point. And by that, I mean that I have only played the main story on easy. I know, lame, and I can't access certain areas, but hey, I did play the game on normal and even on hard once back on the old version. But! I had enough. Even just those two playthroughs were enough to make me hate the gear tower. I don't like it, I don't ever wanna do it again. And easy mode is perfect for that. It just turns the whole tower. Problem solved. I mean, I guess I could do with the hedge maze, but hey, if not being able to get that means not having to do the gear tower, great! I'll just sacrifice the stupid maze. I can still do it as Ada. That will have to be enough. And as Ada, I don't have to deal with the dog-like thingies in it. That one is a Leon-exclusive. As far as I remember.

One thing that took some getting used to was that the steam version is controlled by a keyboard-mouse combo instead of just the keyboard like the old version. I mean I could just plug in my controller, but that poses another problem on the steam version. I need the left stick to be for just walking forward (or backward) and the right stick to be for turning left and right as well as for full aiming. And the steam version doesn't allow that. Even though I have a feeling the old version could be configured like that. Because I distinctly remember playing it with a controller at one point. Before deciding to just DMC4 it. And yes, by that I mean WSAD + IKLJ. That is the main key config I have for DMC4 and I used it for the old version of RE4 too. But it doesn't work on the steam version because turning and aiming is separate buttons. But at this point, I am pretty comfortable with the keyboard-mouse combo. It would be even better to be able to walk while aiming, but hey, that's an RE6 thing, not RE4. And I think you can also do it in 5 and you can definitely do it in 7 and 8 (village). I haven't played those last two but I did see a full playthrough on YouTube. 

I'm also thinking of doing a playthrough of RE4 where I listen and watch all the cutscenes. I tend to skip them apart from the one in the castle where Leon meets Ada. But I haven't seen them in a while and while I still mostly remember them, I could perhaps use a refresher on some of them. Yup, I'll be doing that on the next playthrough. Including all Ada scenes. 

I'm also thinking of running my RE 6 again. And yes, I know that this one is not popular amongst the masses, but hey, I like it. Not all of it, but it has Leon and Ada. And their campaigns are good. It's probably why I really dislike 7 even though a lot of people like it. It doesn't have Leon and well, he's my favorite character. My first foray into Resident Evil was through Resident Evil 4. If we're talking games. I am not talking about the moves. Not at all, just games. And well, since I started with a more action-packed RE than most, I think it is also the reason I kinda like RE 6. And why I dislike 7. I am on the fence about 8. I actually really like how it looks and even the gameplay. And it has a merchant and all! However! The MC is Ethan and I'm kinda done with that guy. He's kinda annoying and I don't like him. Unfortunately, it looks like the new games don't want to feature the good old characters…. I mean, they slapped Chris in the new games but I'm still missing Leon and Ada. Heck! I'm missing fucking Jill Valentine! And I don't actually like her all that much either! Also, I'm, for some reason, missing Wesker. He may be a bad guy, but fuck! He has STYLE! Have you SEEN those sunglasses?!

I do have to wonder what will come after Village. Maybe they'll bring back some more people from the old crew? I would like that. I would like to see more games featuring Ada and Leon. And even Jill and Claire and Carlos. Heck, give me Barry (if he's still alive) or Sherry and Jake. 

Share your thoughts in the comments? 

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 26th of October, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment