Wednesday, December 29, 2021

The Long Dark: Wintermute - Episode 4


 They finally released the fourth episode in The Long Dark - Wintermute. And it's pretty good. I mean, there are some puzzles that are just tedious. Like in the steam tunnels. The valves. Opening and closing them. I honestly can't say I enjoyed that. Or the parts you have to sprint through because you would suffocate otherwise. Really not a fan of those. Mostly because as you near suffocation, your vision gets blurry and you can't even see properly where you're going. Honestly. Those parts are really bad. 

On the other hand, it seems like we're getting closer to figuring out why the power is out and what the aurora borealis has to do with anything. And I can't wait to find that out. I've been waiting for that since episode 1. Probably even before that. Probably ever since the story mode was announced. So yeah. A big fan of some things not so much of others. I had to do the prison escape like six times before I managed to get to the warden's office. Which yeah, this takes place on a map that has a prison. And so far, I don't think you can access this map in sandbox. Too bad. It looks pretty good. Though my fav location is still probably the first one I was ever in - the Hydro Dam area. And Coastal Highway. Those two are my favorite. Even if I made my main base in the Broken Railroad. In the yard that's there. It has everything apart from an ammunition bench. But I can make do without having that one in my base. 

But that's sandbox and I wanted to talk more about the story mode. So far, fourth is my favorite episode. But one thing I'm still pissed off about is that the first time I returned to the prison after finishing my assigned task, I may have stashed some duplicates and stuff I knew I didn't wanna lose in a car trunk, but I still kept a bunch of things on me. And they took it all sans clothing. So yeah, pissed off about that. I lost my bow. And then I was too busy traipsing around to make a new one. I don't think I even had the necessary crafting components for it. But I kinda wanted to keep it. I am better with a bow when it comes to rabbits and I wanted to make myself some rabbit mittens. I just seem to be unable to hit them with anything but a bow. 

Also, it took way too long to find a fucking revolver. I had like 10 rifles and not a single revolver. And then I had two and after that, I had to leave it all in my little area where I leave everything and go back to the prison after the latest mission. And then the prison blew up and I don't think I'm ever gonna see those items again. And I had two revolvers in there! But I would have lost them anyway if I had gone inside the prison with them. So... Yeah. That was a choice made between a rock and a hard place. Next time, I'm gonna stash some stuff at the end of the steam tunnels, just before they lead back out to the prison. That is if I ever play it again. I'm not sure. I mean, it's a story and I'm not sure how many times I wanna go through it. But I'll definitely keep playing the sandbox mode. On and off. Not all the time, but sometimes. It's a good game after all. But honestly, there are games that are better. Genshin Impact, Star Stable Online, DragonFable, or Skyrim to name a few. Oh, and Minecraft. But with mods. I seriously dislike non-modded Minecraft. The sole exception to that is this one elytra map for 1.9 that I have. I think this is the only thing I play on non-modded Minecraft with any kind of regularity. 

And now I'm gonna go and read a webtoon chapter/episode and after that, I'm gonna go and see if there's anything I want to watch. 

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 3rd of November, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment