Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Heroes [2006 - 2010]


I remember watching the first season when it was first airing on TV. I don't know how old I was but I'm sure I was still in grade school. And then I remember giving up on it when Isaac Mendez died. He was my favorite character. Still is. Though now I also really like Sylar (Gabriel). And the funniest one is Hiro Nakamura. He's good too. 
Now, here's the official blurb. I'm done coming up with summaries for stuff that already has them. 

People all over the U.S start to realize they have special abilities, like telekinesis, healing abilities, flying powers, time travel, invisibility, and the ability to absorb others' abilities. One man, known as Sylar, wants to gain all the power of these "heroes" so he can be the most powerful and evolved human of all, and stops at nothing to gruesomely kill these people. In order to protect themselves from him, these people must help one another before Sylar can destroy them all, while they each deal with problems of their own.

So I decided to re-watch the whole thing. I finished season one yesterday and immediately started on season 2. I now have two favorite characters. And yes, it's those two I mentioned above. Mendez and Sylar. So yeah, I was, again, pissed off they killed Mendez, but, at least there's still Sylar. And yeah, he's the bad guy, but I have a thing about liking the bad guys. And, as far as I know, he's supposed to change sides in season 4. Looking forward to it. 
The show may be relatively old, but it's good. It's the Marvel before Marvel was a thing. Though I did notice one thing. During the first several episodes of season 1, I kept thinking that Peter and Nathan Petrelli should have been named the other way around. Nathan seems like a Peter and Peter seems like a Nathan. Well, seemed. Now that I started on season 2, I'm not so sure about that. But at the beginning, I did keep thinking about them the other way around. 
My least favorite protagonist so far is Suresh. I just don't like him. Oh, and while I like Claire's powers, I don't much like her either. At least the dog her mother owns is cute. I definitely enjoyed it more now during the re-watch than when I watched it originally. I think it's mostly because I must have missed some of the episodes then. And well, if you don't have the full picture, you just can't fully enjoy a show like this one. 

Okay, I'll keep watching season two and when I'm done with it, I'll come back to this and keep writing. 


I'm back after finishing season 2. It was great. I mean, I could have done without Maya's freakouts and there were several times I was yelling at the characters for being stupid, but all in all, it was good. There are several arcs that are interconnected by the main villain. And then there's the side quest villain in the form of Sylar who didn't die in the previous season and woke up somewhere in the middle of nowhere only to meet with Maya and her brother and travel with them to the series's main scientist Suresh. Sylar to re-gain his powers, Maya to lose hers. And she has plague powers. And Sylar wants those for himself. However, without his own powers, he can't obtain hers so in the end, he doesn't gain them. 
In this case, that's a good thing. As much as I like Sylar, I don't think he should have that power. Too dangerous. I mean, he's good at controlling the powers he gains, but still, not this one. Too dangerous in my opinion. 
As much as I don't really like Maya, I have enjoyed this arc the most. Mostly thanks to Sylar himself. He is one of my favorite characters after all. 
I want to like Peter Petrelli as well, but honestly, the truth is, I start liking him, and immediately, he does something to make me rethink that, something stupid. And then I start questioning his sanity and want to hit him with a brick.

On to season 3 we go.

Honestly, season 3 felt like two seasons glued together. Still, I think it was better than season 2. I think that this season gave us a lot of answers. And that is good. Even if most of those answers were in the last few episodes. Also, sometimes, it is hard to figure out who is on whose side. Eventually, it does make sense. Somewhat, but still. This season can definitely be confusing during certain parts. 
One of the more interesting events is Hiro losing and then regaining his powers. At least partially. From what I know, he won't regain full use until sometime during season 4. It was an interesting arc and I did enjoy it, even if I'm sometimes finding it hard to fluidly switch between hearing (and trying to understand) Japanese while reading the subs and hearing English. Whatever, not important. The important thing is that the Hiro parts are extremely funny. and I really enjoyed them for that reason. 
Still, my favorite parts are anything Sylar. And he's going on another road trip. This time to find his biological father. And while on the journey, he picks up a kid. More of a teen, really. Luke. He has powers too. Something to do with microwave rays. Basically, a walking talking microwave. 
However, it is unclear what happens to Luke. It may seem like Sylar killed him, but hey, I don't believe it. The wikis list his status as unknown. So that's what I'm going with. I'm gonna believe that Sylar let him go in the end. I have read somewhere that they are possibly related - siblings. I like the idea. Hell, I'm gonna be reading so many fanfics when this is all over and I've watched all the episodes and seasons. Even now, it's a struggle not to go and read some of them. But I can't. I can't because I know myself! I know that if I start reading the fanfics now, I'm never gonna finish watching the drama. And I want to finish watching it. So I'm forcing myself not to read anything just yet. Well, anything related to the drama at least. 
There are several more really interesting parts to season 3. But honestly, nothing is as good as the parts that have Sylar in them. And yes, I'm biased as hell. He's my favorite character. Together with Isaac as I probably already stated somewhere above. And since Isaac is dead, I'm left with only Sylar. Also, don't be surprised if I start to refer to him as Gabriel instead. It is his name after all. 

And now there's only season 4 left. Well, and the Reborn part. But that one will have its own post. Even now, this is getting seriously long! 


No matter. I am now about halfway through season 4 and it's epic! I mean, the beginning was not that great, and I was pretty bored by the Claire parts. Mostly the stuff that takes place in the uni. Also, we have a new antagonist. Even though Gabriel is trying very hard to make us believe that he is also an antagonist. He is more of an antihero than a true villain at this point. 
The main bad guy is a man named Samuel. And his power is to move the earth. Basically, a walking talking earthquake. And I just really want to brain him with a pipe. Is that wrong? Though I have to say that whoever portrayed his younger version, CUTE! Too bad he turns out to be a prick! 
Also, the deaf nurse? Or whatever she actually is, the only good thing about her scenes is the fact that Peter is in a lot of them as well. Honestly, I kinda like him here in season 4. Though I do miss his abilities from season 1. I preferred it when he could copy multiple powers at once than the current iteration of it where he can only copy one power at a time. 
I am currently at the point where Claire has been to the carnival to see what Samuel is up to and then left. Also, there's been a funeral for Nathan and now I'm trying to figure out what the fuck happened to Gabriel. Because I honestly don't know if this is the end of him or not. All I know is that I hope it isn't and that on his wiki page it says status: unknown. So, let's just pretend he's alive and wait until I finish the season. And then it will be fanfiction time. I have a search already filtered and prepared. Readied for me to start clicking on fanfics and reading! Honestly, I wanted a different pairing, but the one I want simply doesn't exist. Well, it exists, you can filter on it, but it gives you all of three stories that are some idea/one-shot collections or something like that. Oh, and I think they are unfinished. So for now, I'm going with a different pairing for that search, and then I might expand because I do have one more as a backup. Still, nothing for me until I finish the drama. In full!


So, 2000 years later. I have finished this ages ago. I just forgot about this post. So now I'm finishing it. On my new clicky keyboard. And I even have a favorite episode. The Wall. Where Peter and Gabriel are trapped in the mind-world. Or whatever you wanna call it. Thanks to Matt Parkman. And they have to work together to get out. Like, there's a bunch of stuff in-between this and what I have written previously, but honestly, this is the best part. Because they break through and then it's like that one moment in the Star Trek reboot where Jim and Spock prowl on the bridge of the Enterprise and hail Narada. Totally in sync and all cool! Well, this is exactly the same. Both Peter and Gabriel totally in synch and stopping Samuel from revealing the existence of Evos to the general population. 
Seriously, The Wall and the following episode (or two, not sure if there are two or just one after it right now) are the best from the whole fucking series. 
So, they work totally in synch only for Claire to fuck it up for them afterward and climb to the top of a Ferris wheel and jump. On camera. Live camera if I am not mistaken. For the whole fucking nation to see her regenerative powers. And then Gabriel disappears. Hence the unknown status on his wiki page. 
But for all intents and purposes, I will keep believing that he is alive and well. Simply because I can and you can't stop me. 

And now the only thing left is for me to finally force myself to watch the Heroes Reborn. But that will have to wait as I'm now in the middle of Hudson and Rex. A Canadian version of Commissar Rex. The original was German and pretty bad. Most of the stuff from Germany is bad. Television wise. But this Canadian version is pretty good. Or well, there are better things, but it's not bad and I needed something from the murder-mystery genre. Especially after binge-watching Dvojka na zabití - a Czech crime drama staring Kuba Prachař and Sara Sandeva. 

To sum it up, Heroes is a pretty good drama and while I don't see myself re-watching the whole thing any time soon, It is definitely a possibility for the future. Though just rewatching from The Wall onward is probably gonna happen a lot sooner. 
If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend you do. Even more so if you happen to like superheroes. It fits right in. Like I mentioned somewhere at the beginning, Heroes is the Marvel before Marvel was a thing. The predecessor. I mean, Marvel existed in comic form but definitely not in the MCU as we know it today. And while X-men were probably already a thing, I do think that Heroes have more character development. Unless we're talking about the X-men Reboot with the younger Magneto and Professor X. 
And I'm gonna shut up now. Go watch it if you haven't already and if you have, you can tell me your thoughts in the comments below. I'll see you there. 

~AnnElfwind

Written (finished) on the 9th of November, 2021








No comments:

Post a Comment