Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Simon R. Green - Forest Kingdom Saga and other series

 Books by S. R. Green are some of the best I've ever read. And that's without them being LGBT-themed. So that means they are exceptional. I can't even pick a favorite out of his books... They are all great! Well, I'm not too keen on the last book in the Forest Kingdom Saga, but hey, it all ends nicely in Beyond the Blue Moon so the sixth one feels like an extra that doesn't even need to be there. 

And the Forest Kingdom Saga is what I'm reading now. I'm now re-reading the fifth book. And it's great. I love it and will forever love it. I also got me the full Deathstalker series as well as some more stuff, but most prominently, the Deathstalker. 

Still, FKS is great and I definitely recommend it. I don't think I have a true favorite, but I did really enjoy Blood and Honor as well as the fifth book (BTBM). And no, I don't feel like writing out the full name too many times, it's long. 

The FKS is essentially a fantasy fairytale turned inside-out and dragged through a horror story. It's also full of humor. I'm not that huge fan of humor, or mostly my sense of humor is just weird, but I do like the funny stuff in Green's books. 

I also like how it turns some of the tropes on its head. Like a dragon that collects butterflies instead of gold and a princess that has no qualms about punching somebody and swinging a sword. And a virgin prince riding a unicorn. Can't forget that one. 

Also, I really like that you can find easter eggs throughout Green's books referring to his other series. Like, The FKS mentions Molly Metcalf. And she's from the Drood series. The Secret Histories I think the series is called. 

And then there's the Nightside. And honestly, I think this is the one that references just about anything and everything. And I love it. Honestly, I love it all, and I also have the first book from the "Ghost" series. Ghost of a chance I think it's called. I'm gonna read it all and then I'm gonna move on to something else, I also have the Shadow Runner series and well, I've been looking forward to that one too. 

Still, if you like whacky fantasy, FKS is for you. If you like darker urban fantasy, try one of his other series, sans Deathstalker, that one is more Sci-fi than anything else, but if you do like science fiction, I think you'll enjoy it. 

So, have fun reading and then come and tell me which of his books you like and which you don't. And why. And we can compare notes and talk about it in the comments, okay? 

See you later. 

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 13th of October, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment