Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Drizzt - Book 2 and 3

 

I've been reading some more Drizzt books. I finished book two and three and started book four. So far, we're still in the territory I know. I've read these books before. But it's been a while and definitely don't remember them all that well. Apart from those, I have finished re-reading. 

So, in book two we see Drizzt after several years of living alone (with Guen) in the caves outside and away from the city of Drow elves. Well, if you can call it living. I've always said there's a difference between living and surviving and this is definitely the latter. 

One day, Drizzt follows a bunch of svirfnebli to their home. There, he meets Belwar, the svirfnebli he met during an expedition when he was still living with the drow elves. The svirfnebli let him stay in their city and he does. For a while anyway. 

Because his family, his drow family decide to use Zaknafein's corpse to make a lean mean killing machine. Staying in the svirfnebli city becomes too dangerous for the svirfnebli and he leaves. Belwar goes with him. They travel even deeper into the tunnels and caves. They come across a new friend. A pech in the body of a hook horror. 

They decide to travel together and try to find someone who would be able to change him back into a pech. In the process, they find a city of illithids. Mind flayers. Though I prefer the first name. And they get captured. Mind-controlled. And enslaved. That would have been it, but for Guen, the panther. And for Zaknafein who is after Drizzt. And the pech (Clacker) who wasn't really enslaved all that much. 

So while they are trying to escape, Zak kills most of the illithids and then turns to his real prey - Drizzt. They flee from him, but he's in pursuit. They make it to this acid lake with walkways above it. They went through there once already, albeit in the opposite direction. There, Drizzt proves that Zak's mind is still in there and Zak manages to resist Matron Do'Urden's control and basically kills himself by jumping in the acid pit just so he wouldn't have to kill his son - Drizzt. 

Honestly, why is it that all the great guys always die! And this is only the beginning! First Zak, then, in book 3 it's the elf Kellindil...

Oh well, back to the illithids. It's just... I think that they are a little bit like Goromorgs from Legend of Grimrock and well... I hate those. 

Oh well, book two ends with Drizzt deciding to head to the surface and try his luck there. 

Book three is mostly him trying to find a place to call home. In the end, he succeeds and finds one. But it's a long journey and along the way, he gets a mentor only for said mentor to die several chapters later. At least the death was a peaceful one. Unlike Kellindil who gets killed by Roddy McGristle - a mean guy who is holding a grudge because Drizzt killed his dog in self-defense. Though it's mostly about McGristle being a mean and unlikable person. I wouldn't have minded if he died. But no... It's always the ones I like that die... 

And in the last part of the book, one of my least favorite characters appears. Catti-brie. I don't like her. I don't like her together with Drizzt. I didn't like her when I read the books the first time. And I hate her now. So it devolved even more. 

Guess I will have to scour the internet for some fanfiction. I've tried for crossovers that would be M/M involving Drizzt, no such luck. And there's definitely no hope for an Untamed/Forgotten Realms crossover. That's too specific. I should be happy for the one HP/Untamed crossover I found. And not be greedy. Or, did I actually look for the crossovers? 

Right now, I'm not sure. I know I looked for some Zak!Lives that involved some Zak/Drizzt fluff/romance or something similar, but there was nothing. If you don't count the PWP. And I don't read that.

Oh well, at least I have something to search for. As well as trying to find a Drizzt/Kellindil fic. Haven't tried that before. That's definitely on the list though. I have to look that pairing up. For sure.

And now it's devolving into something that I no longer can name. What even is this post anymore. Oh well, I guess I just wanted to rand a little here at the end. 

Still, the books are good and if you can get over the Catti-brie thing, I recommend them for sure. I'm definitely gonna keep listening to them. Probably come Monday when I'm at work. Good thing I don't have to share the office with anyone. Well, sometimes I do, but mostly I don't as it's always only one of us that's there. Looking forward to that. I hate silence and audiobooks are a great way to fill it.

See ya.

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 6th of March, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment