Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Cordelia Kingsbridge - Seven of Spades Book 01 - 03

 

Yep, I'm still listening to audiobooks. And I'm not gonna stop anytime soon. But I had to slow down a little. Mostly because I wasn't alone in the office at work and well, it's not possible to listen to books while I'm there with someone. Bummer. But oh well. I've also started walking home from work instead of using public transport. And I listen to books while doing so. So at least there's that. 

Anyway, I found these books. Murder mysteries. The series has five books in total. I've only now started on book 4, but that's on me. I thought there were only three. Only to be pissed off when I realized that at the end of book 3 I still didn't know who the Seven of Spades is! So. I love murder mysteries. Even though I almost never figure out the killer's identity before the big reveal. Not the point though.

I just love this series. Cordelia Kingsbridge obviously knows what she's doing. 

Oh, I should probably mention that this is BL - Boys Love. The main couple is gay. 

Though, it definitely doesn't take away from the murder mystery. I mean, I could do without the explicit sex scenes (as always, I prefer fluff). But all in all, it's very well written and the guy who narrates it in my audiobook version, he's great! I would tell you his name, but I don't remember it, just that he has a great voice.

The main characters are Levi and Dominic. Do not ask for more than first names. I could guess the spelling of their last names, but I'd probably butcher it. I have never seen it written as the summary that made me download it, only mentioned their first names. Anyway. Levi is a homicide detective and Dominic starts as a bounty hunter. And a bartender on the side. By the end of book 3, he's a private investigator. Oh, and Dominic has a big dog.

These two start as rivals. They don't really like each other, but it's pretty obvious right from the beginning that they will end up together. I mean, in these BL novels, it's always pretty obvious who's gonna end up with whom. And I have nothing against that. Though I also love it when it comes with an interesting plot twist. Not here though. The romance is pretty straightforward. 

At least until the end part of book 3. Dominic has a gambling problem and well, he's been managing pretty well for quite a long time, but in book 3, he's training to be a PI and gets this one case. And it leads him to an underground gambling den. And he's forced to gamble to keep his cover. Even though the sensible thing would have been to hand the investigation over to literally anyone else. Though preferably someone without a gambling problem of their own. 

And throughout the whole thing, we have a killer. Calls himself the Seven of Spades. Always leaves the corresponding card somewhere on the crime scene, preferably the victim. And for some reason, he really likes Levi. Even calls him multiple times from burner phones. And not just to talk about the killings, but also to check on him. 

There's also an ex-boyfriend of Levi's. They broke up about halfway through book 1. And well, for a long while, the guy was an ass about it. He's definitely not my favorite character, but by the end of book 3, I've decided that I don't actually hate him. 

But I'm pretty sure there's gonna be some horrible twist when it comes to the big reveal of who the Seven of Spades is. I'm, frankly, really looking forward to it, but so far, I'm only at the beginning of book 4, so it won't be for a while yet. And therefore, if any one of you knows who the killer is, please, for the love of... something! Don't tell me! 

I don't like spoilers. It's why I'm trying to prevent myself from watching and reading anything related to the Chinese Drama Word of Honor until I finish it. And it is the reason I tried to write as spoiler-free as possible. I mean, I had to reveal some things. But I tried to keep it vague and to the minimum. Because I think you should read it. These books are really well written and you simply don't know what you're missing out on. 

If you're a murder mystery buff, I'm pretty sure you'll have great fun trying to figure out who the killer is before the detectives. I'm also pretty sure that my mother would have figured it out - at the very least by the end of book 3. But she won't, she doesn't read BL. Even though she absolutely loves murder mysteries. I think it's her favorite genre. 

Anyway, see you later. I will be probably scheduling some more posts during my post-easter vacation. So look forward to it. :) 

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 2nd of April, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment