Sunday, July 19, 2020

Oxventurers

Yup, Oxventurers. I love their streams. And I'm now a hardcore D&D fan. For those of you who don't know, D&D stands for Dungeons and Dragons. A paper and pen RPG played usually with a group of at least three where one of those is the Dungeon Master and therefore the Narrator. 
Or, as Johnny from Dicebreaker says, he's literally everyone else in the world. And he's the Dungeon Master for the Oxventurers. So he has to know, right? :D Well, okay. So, these guys, they normally run the Outside Xbox and Outside Xtra channels, but sometimes they, like every other Friday or so, play D&D with Johnny from Dicebreaker as DM. Or GM sometimes - stands for Game Master. I like DM better though. But it's essentially the same thing. 
I know very well that some of the D&D games can be really serious, but that's the fun thing about the Oxventurers. Their games can generally be described as chaos on crack. And I love it. It's always the highlight of my day when they play. My favorite so far was when they obtained the hammer with the sixty skeletons. Or, I love everything sans maybe the first three campaigns, as I didn't start from the beginning. 
So, apart from that, I love it. And how they derail their GM so badly all the time. Well, not all the time, but sometimes, it's really epic. I would very much like to tell you, but I just don't want to spoil anything. Really, if you like RPG and silly gamers, try it. Oh, but don't be a Dob. Which, you won't understand just yet, but I guarantee that after watching two or three oxventures, you will know. So, I said that Johnny from Dicebreaker is the DM and I think you can deduce that one of the Oxventurers is called Dob (Half-orc bard portrayed by Luke). Well, there is also Andy as Corazon, human pirate rouge, then Mike as the Dragonborn Paladin Egbert, then Ellen as Merilwen the wood-elf druid, sometimes bear, sometimes cat and sometimes a giant octopus. And the last one is Jane as Prudence the tiefling warlock who likes to solve most of the problems with Eldritch blasts. 
Yeah, weird bunch but it goes well together. 
Oh, I know which Oxventure is good! The one that became famous for Merilwen's Meat Grinder. Well, Corazon helped. With Grease. I know, it makes no sense, but you'll understand. Soon. If you watch it. 
I also recommend this video. It's Johnny confessing how the Oxventurers derailed him so far. It's great! It's funny! And it explains some of the things going on in the Oxventure D&Ds. 
I know I'm basically just singing praises here, but please hear me out. This is really great! It's funny, but at the same time, they can get serious in a tight spot. Sometimes. Not very often. It's still mostly chaos on crack. But it gets me laughing so hard tears are streaming out of my eyes. So, try it. Watch them. And if it's not to your liking, well, you tried. It's not like I'm gonna force you to watch them if D&D is not your thing, but if you don't know whether you like it or not, maybe consider giving it a try before you outright reject it? 
~AnnElfwind
Written on the 18th of July, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment