Sunday, July 26, 2020

I'm not okay with this - Season 1 [2020]


I watch (listen to) youtube a lot. And sometimes, they put video ads in there. Which I'm sure you all know. Well, I get a lot of Netflix ads. And while a lot of those are boring, sometimes, something good comes out of them. Like the Witcher. That was great. But then I got nothing for a while. Oh, I got Netflix ads alright, but boring ones. Took a while to get something interesting again. But I did. 
A show called I'm not okay with this. At first, I was like meh... Should I even watch this? But then I realized that the main actress is the same that played Beverly Marsh in Stephen King's IT. Well, the movie version obviously isn't King's, but you get what I mean, right?
So, I decided to try and watch this I'm not okay with it. See what it is about. I had just finished another series and wanted to start something new. Take a break from the stuff I'm in the middle of watching and there was no Detective Conan episode to watch so I decided on this. I binge-watched it one day before leaving for work. 
The premise is that this girl, Syd, starts to develop not only superpowers but also feelings for her best friend (female best friend). At the same time, she struggles with a somewhat dismissive mother and tries to deal with her father's death. Yeah, he died about a year ago, but it's still affecting her. 
Her school's councilor suggests (strongly suggests) she starts writing a diary and this will play a big role later, but at the beginning, it simply serves as a way to narrate things that we, as the audience, should know but without that narration, have no way to.
During the show, Syd makes a new friend. A classmate that lives on the same street as her, but they haven't really talked before. And through the whole Season 1, he's the only one who knows about her superpowers. 
In a few of the episodes, there's a dark shadow (that can turn into a man or the man into the shadow) that is stalking her. 
Syd confesses her love for her best friend who at first rejects it and they write it off as being drunk and messing around. Then Syd's diary goes missing. She confronts the basement where her dad killed himself, learns that maybe she has her superpowers from him, makes up with her friend and they go to the prom together. 
There we get a scene to the female friend's (Dina I think), boyfriend. He says that the prom will be mind-blowing. And you couldn't be more right. He's the one with the diary and when they are about to announce the prom king and queen, he hijacks the mike and starts talking about things he read in the diary. 
He tells basically the whole school that Syd's a lesbian. At this point, it's important to point out that Dina isn't disgusted as she already kissed Syd. When they were dancing. Or, if they didn't, at least she definitely said that she didn't not like the kiss they shared when they were drunk.
But then the guy is about to reveal her superpowers and they spike and well... Things turn into the Carrie direction. Syd blows his head, killing him before he can spill the beans on her. No one knows it was her, no one but Stan, the guy she befriended. The diary gets kicked somewhere to the side, but we can see that Stan saw that and it is definitely possible that he would retrieve it before anyone else, but we don't know, because this happens in the last episode of the first season and there is no second season yet. 
Then, we get Syd running to an abandoned watchtower. She's all covered in blood. 
This whole show is based on a comic. I have not read the comic. All I know about it is that yes, she is canonically a lesbian and that at the end of the comic, she commits suicide. 
However, the Netflix show takes the story into another direction. As she's at the top of the watchtower, the shadow man appears behind her. We never see him from the front. We don't know who he is. Or even if he's something she conjured with her powers. 
But! He says something. And this is important. She askes: "Should I be afraid?" 
And the reply: "They should be afraid."
This can be understood in many ways. But the way I understand it, at least so far, is because it would be an awesome plot twist. The man will take Syd under his wing, but, and this is the plot twist: He's the villain and so will be Syd. 
Many people theorize that it's her father and he never actually died as he left no note and that he came to help her control her powers, but I think my theory has more punch to it. I like it and I reserve the right to think it until season 2 comes out and either confirms it or denies it.
So, the show is really good. Surprisingly good. I honestly didn't expect it to be this good. Go watch it, okay? And then tell me what you think of it and what your take is on that ending. 
~AnnElfwind
Written on the 26th of July, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment