Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Dungeon Siege 1

So I got me all three of them. I mean, I played the first one ages ago. Back when I was in grade school. Like 12 or younger, probably younger. Because my cousin had it and I just had to play it. Back then she had all the best video games. So yeah. I remember playing it. And I think that my father's friend might have had it as well. But I'm not entirely sure on that front. And asking my father would be pointless as he probably has no idea what Dungeon Siege is anymore. 


But yeah. I also had it some years ago but I lost that copy. But I did manage to beat it then. And even backtracked all the way to the beginning after doing so. Just killing any leftover mobs that I could find. 

The one issue I have with this game is that it's virtually impossible to max out all the main skills on a single character. You simply have to specialize. And that's something I simply don't like. Heh, whatever. Not the point. Now that I have re-acquired the game, I have one big issue with it. Saving. I tend to only save when I intend to quit for the time being. As I have said in the Gamer's diary. And well, I tend to not pay close enough attention to the health and mana bars and I forget to give the chars their potions. So they keep dying. And then I have to backtrack. Lame. But it's still a good game. Great one even considering how old it is. I like it. And despite dying, I'll keep playing it. 


I also have DS 2 and 3. Honestly, I have way too many issues with 2. It's lagging. No matter what I do with the settings. It keeps lagging and stuttering. I hate that! Considering I managed to make quite a bit of progress despite that. Only, dying. In this game as well. 

But I'll get to it at some point. I have too many games that I need to finish. Or replay. As is the case with Resi 2, 3, and 4. And don't even get me started on Syndicate. That is, AC Syndicate. 



But enough about that. I also have DS 3 and there is one huge difference in this one. Honestly, it reminds me more of Dungeon Hunter 4 or 5, more 5 than four. Also, you can move the character with WSAD instead of it being just purely a point-and-click (with hotkeys) game. Yeah, DS 1 and 2 are more of a point-and-click kind of game. And while I don't mind it, I would like to see a possible remake of it. Honestly, can you imagine DS 1 made with the possibilities of today's gaming? It would be so epic! Hey, somebody make it. And I don't mean DS 4, just a DS 1 remake. Like they did with Resi. 

A bit more about the game, it's an RPG (I play almost nothing but RPGs). And it's fantasy. You play as a random hero that has to go kill a big bad evil. And on your way, you get some more party members, up to 8? I think? Something like that. Unless you want that stupid pack mule. I wouldn't recommend it. Yes, until you get at least one teammate to go with you, you will find too many items to carry, but hey, at least it will force you to actually pick through them and choose what you want to keep. Which, important. Go through items you have periodically. Or you will find that you have equips that are better than what you have now that you didn't know you could already use. 


Another thing I would recommend is if you can get a companion, go get them. Even if it means backtracking. The more you have, the better. And the easier it becomes to move forward. I backtracked like this to Stonebridge to get me an archer. And I might backtrack again to get the dwarf from the snowy city. I don't remember the name of the city but it is in the snow region. 


Also, you need to make sure that at least one of your party members is a permanent healer. Or you WILL die. Also, get him to equip a revive spell in the second slot and if you have a combat mage, get him to have a revive spell in his second slot as well. And as backup, get some revive scrolls. At least three. And make sure that all your party members have some health potions and that all your mages have some mana potions on them. 

I'm pretty sure you can't use a mana potion directly from someone else's inventory. Though it would be great if it was possible. But I doubt it. The game is great but honestly doesn't work like that. So in the end, inventory management is a huge part of it. And you WILL lose track of stuff sometimes. The important part is to stop in a safe spot, go through the inventories one by one, swap the items to the relevant party members, and then go through it again and see what can be equipped. 


So, while the game is old, I do like it and think it's worth a try. Especially if you like RPGs. 


~AnnElfwind


Written on the 20th of November, 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment