Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Alice Winters - Phoenix's Quest #1: Nixing the End of the World

Official Blurb:
Nixing the End of the World contains a flaming "horse" with antlers who inexplicably appears when needed (or not), an interfering BFF who didn’t really mean to light the trunk on fire, a six-toed cat that looks like he put a claw in a socket, and an incubus who just wants a smoothie without anyone losing their clothes.

I'm done with coming up with summaries when somebody already did that job for me. I think I'd prefer to focus on what I like or dislike about a book than summarising it. However, regardless of if I write the blurb or not, the book was excellent. I couldn't stop listening to it. Yeah, at first I was very surprised and a little disappointed when they sprung a female character on me at the very beginning, but hey, it turned out okay and the cute male lead ended up together with the sassy and classy (or at least he thinks he is) Alistair. Alastair? Don't know. Spelling names correctly is hard when you have only ever heard them and didn't really see their written form. So I'm gonna be partly guessing. 

And the funniest character in this whole thing is Alastair's horse. That thing has a knack for turning up unexpected and for destroying shrubbery everywhere! Though it does seem like he likes grandma's the best. The horse is a menace but a funny one. 

I should probably mention that the main character is called Nix (Phoenix) and he's meant to save the world. With the help of a guardian that has problems controlling his magic. Add in a long-ago-imprisoned king that doesn't want to be a bad guy anymore, an angry descendant of the king, and you have a pretty good story. More than good. The only problem is that this is the first in a series and the rest of it is just not written yet! 

What I like most about this book is that unlike some, it doesn't have too many or too explicit sex scenes. I love gay fiction. I do, but I prefer the fluff instead of the explicit sex. I honestly like it better when the book only alludes to the sex instead of describing it in excruciating detail. I have my own imagination. I can easily fill the blanks and I prefer it that way. And by this, I by no means mean to completely skip the sex. I understand that it's somehow part of LGBT literature. But it doesn't have to be too explicit or with too many details. I think we all have working minds and brains. And I hope I'm not the only one who prefers to fill the blanks themselves. 

On the other hand, I'm perfectly fine with explicit when it is to further the plot. 

Now, I think I have prattled about this book enough. So, to sum it up, I enjoyed it a great deal and can't wait to read the next one when it comes out. If you like urban fantasy and/or gay stories with magic, I think you will enjoy this one. I highly recommend it and if you decide to read it (or listen to it), please come back and share your thoughts with me. I would like to hear them. 

See you in the next post. 

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 10th of September, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment