Wednesday, January 20, 2021

J.P. Oliver - His Paladin

Gosh! Another book. What happened, you might be asking. Well, lonely days in the office happened and the fact that I have about 20 audiobooks on my phone. That's what happened. Deal with it. But don't worry, the next post will be something else, though still a review. Just not a book one. 

So, this book, decidedly something else that I was expecting. It was listed under BL and Fantasy. Well, the BL part is correct. But the fantasy, not so much. It takes place in the modern-day and the only fantasy that's happening there is real-life roleplay. I would not have listed this under fantasy. It's misleading. But it's partly on me anyway, as I don't think I read the summary a tall, or if I did, I only read like one or two sentences. So yeah... 

Despite this, the book wasn't too bad. I even enjoyed it. After I got over the shock. 

So, Quinn, a bisexual widower, is an army man. And it's his time to find something fun to do on Fun day for his team. And he sees a billboard and picks real-life roleplay at Lochmire castle. And that's where we meet Raine. A single dad with a 6-year-old daughter Nicole. 

Raine runs things at Lochmire and the castle gets picked for some kind of a final battle for roleplayers that year. And it's a lot of work and Raine is bad at asking for help and delegating. 

Raine and Quinn keep dancing around each other, though not that long. They get together but keep fighting about the preparations for the final battle. 

And only when things start to fall apart around Raine and Nicole takes things into her own hands, armed with a to-do list and her dad's phone. She calls Quinn and asks him for help. Quinn had a huge fight about delegating with Raine and stormed off, waiting for Raine to apologize, but when Nicole calls, he comes to the rescue. And together they manage to make the event a success. 

It's one of those stories when you just know that nothing too bad will ever happen and the happily-ever-after is all but guaranteed. Still, it made the time at work move faster and that's all I really needed from the book. 

His Paladin doesn't seem to be a part of a series, but I could be wrong. The story seems to be fully complete though, so I'm almost 100% sure there's no second book here. It's one of those stories you don't have to pay your full attention to and you still won't get lost in the story. It's perfect for when you need to multi-task. 

So if you're into BL and just want something sweet and relaxing, go and try this book. I definitely enjoyed it. Even if I'm still miffed about this being listed under fantasy...

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 13th of December, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment