Saturday, January 16, 2021

Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl


 And no, I'm not talking about the movie. Even if it was the reason I decided to re-read the books. 

I've read the books as a kid and they were great. I don't think I've read them (back then) more than once, but they stayed with me. When I got a little older, better at English, I started reading fanfiction and among those were stories featuring Artemis Fowl. The ones I read most of were crossovers, mostly with Harry Potter, which, now that I think about it, has even more potential. What with Colin Farrell playing Artemis' father. The potential for fanfics just went from great to infinite. Or close to it 


But back to the books. I got them in an audiobook version and I've been listening to them while at work. I've learned that it works great that way (I will need more books soon at the rate I'm going). And well, the books are as great as I remember. It was awesome to remember all the details I forgot over the years. Let's face it, I completely forgot in which book Julius Root dies. Turns out it's book 4 - Opal Deception. And not the third one like I first thought. 

Right now I'm on book five and I'm enjoying it immensely. It's the one with the Demons that got stuck in Limbo. And I'm really looking forward to book 6. It's the one with the time travel and I'm always eager to read/watch stuff related to time travel. I have a fucking link to filtered out fanfiction on AO3 with the main tag being Time Travel Fix-It

I'm getting sidetracked again... 

For those of you who don't know these books - The main character is named Artemis Fowl and in the first book, he's 12 years old. And he's a genius. The world of Artemis Fowl is also inhabited by fairies. These fairies are a species that was forced to relocate underground and they not only have magic but are also insanely advanced when it comes to technology. 

And Artemis kidnaps one of them. So yeah, the first book is basically a game of cat and mouse between Artemis and the people (I think that's another name for them). 

The following books are more about them working together, which is still epic. They fight against an evil pixie mastermind, save Artemis' father from Mafia, and many more. 

The books are easy to read, enjoyable, and even though they are targeted to the more teen-aged (up to 15-16 years of age) audience, I think that even an adult can enjoy them. 

Give the books a try and then come back and tell me what you think of them, okay?

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 14th of January, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment