Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Josh Lanyon - Murder takes the high road

 Well, it's been a while since I've written anything. It won't seem like it to you, because I pre-schedule my posts. So there are still several to be posted before you actually see this at the time I'm writing it. I haven't been writing anything lately because I've managed to get my Minecraft to work again. And I've been playing that. Also, I recently got back into the habit of listening to audiobooks. And that's the reason I'm writing this. I finished one just two days ago. And it was really good. 
Written by Josh Lanyon (never heard of him until now), the book is titled Murder takes the high road. And yes, as the name suggests, it's a murder mystery. Though until about the last third of the book or so, it is meant more in the fun way as the whole thing takes place during a bus tour about a murder mystery author. 
Unless I misheard the narrator, the whole thin gis neatly set into the Scottish Highlands and the bus tour is supposed to end in the authoress's castle. 
The main character, Carter, is attending the tour despite the fact that his ex is there also, and with a new boyfriend to boot. At first, he's only there to annoy the crap out of Trevor (the ex), but then he starts to enjoy it. He makes friends with the other occupants and seems to be the only one actively (though somewhat unknowingly) participating in the staged mystery that is part of the tour. 
Things take a bad turn after they reach the castle where they are supposed to stay for several days while having a chance to talk to the authoress. I do not wish to spoil the plot of the novel. Up until now, I haven't said anything specific as to the whole plot. But let's just say that the staged mystery becomes a proper murder mystery. I won't say who or why or how, if you want to know that, you have to read or listen to the book. I got it from audiobookbay and you can too. 

The book is real easy to listen to, the narrator has a great voice, not grating, and he changes it to fit the different characters. I'd tell you his name, but I honestly don't remember it. But if you get the book from the site I linked, it will be the same narrator. 
Murder mysteries are not my most favorite genre, but I do enjoy them. Add in the fact that this is BL, well, I was sold. I do admit that after watching The Untamed, I lean more toward BL fantasy (or wuxia), but murder mysteries are good too. I never say no to a good murder mystery. Emphasis on good. And I think that this one fits the bill. And if you love a bit of a love-centered drama, well, it's not lacking in this department either. Considering that after a while, Trevor starts to try to get back with Carter, who is, obviously, not interested anymore. 
But it wouldn't be a BL if there wasn't some love, so Carter obviously ends up with someone new. A dark and mysterious someone new. And I'll admit it. I suspected this character (John) of foul play at first. Thought he would end up being the bad guy, but it turns out that my instinct to ship them together anyway was correct and my brain really can't be counted on when it comes to figuring out the bad guys.
Seriously though, go read it (listen to). It's great and I still applaud the fact that most of my coworkers don't know jack shit when it comes to English and I can listen to it at work in my office whenever I'm there alone. When my colleague is there, I can't as she prefers the radio. Still, since there are only the two of us, there are more chances for me to listen to audiobooks than you might think. And I already started on a new one. I started on one yesterday, but it was horrible and I deleted it shortly after. And the narrator was crap. But the one I'm listening to now is good. Yes, it sometimes seems like the narrator is a bit too close to the mike, but hey, better than the other one who's s was really loud compared to all the other letters.
Well, that's all folks. See you soon. Probably sooner than you think. I'm probably gonna write something about Minecraft now. 

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 25th of November, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment