Wednesday, August 26, 2020

A Copse of Trees

This is my first real foray into oil painting. I already did one before but that one was merely to familiarize myself with the medium. Yes, I did somewhat follow a Bob Ross tutorial with it, but at that time, I didn't even have a proper coating to use as the base layer so I used gold acrylic paint. I mean, it made for some interesting effects but ultimately, a correct base layer works better. 
So this time, I had a triple primed homemade canvas at my disposal. And I say homemade but it was actually a piece of cardboard from my IKEA building spree. (I bought a new shelf unit) So it was primed and ready. I took out my oil paints and started playing around with them. I even had proper paint thinner as well as lint seed oil to make the paints more workable. I had a hard time deciding on what I want to paints but in the end, I ended up doing another Bob Ross inspired painting. I did not watch a tutorial while painting it like you see many YouTubers do. I just drew a random landscape. I had no idea what the end result will be but I have to say that I really like it. My parents say that the blue of the bog area at the bottom is too blue, but I really like it that way. It's my favorite part of the painting. Well, that and the right half of the trees. I also really like the clouds. The flowers could have worked better but oh well, trial by error. I'll do better next time. 
Still, it's only my second attempt at oils and I hope you like it. Feel free to drop a comment and tell me what you think of it, kay? 

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 29th of June, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment