Friday, September 28, 2018

Resident Evil 7

Well, just recently I installed the Resident Evil 7 game and played up until the big main hall of the main house. Then, I decided to do some googling about the game itself. And I have to say that RE7's 'New Game+' sucks. You don't get to keep any of the gear and only the unlockables or something like that. So I said scratch that and uninstalled the game right after reading that. I love RE games for their New Game Plus feature. In RE4 and RE6 it was done right. Can't speak for RE1 as I didn't play that. I would have played RE2 - Leon, but the graphics are horrible, well, it's old. I'm gonna wait for the remake. I played a bit of RE3, but it has no Ada or Leon and I'm not that big fan of Jill Valentine. So I uninstalled that. The same problem was with RE5, but it at least fit into the storyline. 
As for RE7, it doesn't seem to fit anywhere, even though it could technically take place after RE6. But then there's another problem. As far as I know, Chris Redfield does not work for Umbrella Corporation. But at the end of RE 7, they are flying in an Umbrella chopper. So what gives? 

And as for the whole RE7, you could have guessed it, but I watched the whole thing on youtube as a playthrough without commentary. The person who filmed it decided to save Mia so I don't know anything about what would have happened if Ethan saved Zoey, but maybe I will go watch that ending too, not now though.

Like I said, I played the beginning of the game myself. Unlike all the previous RE games, this one is from first-person point of view. Like... I have nothing against first-person games, but it just doesn't fit with the Resident Evil theme... Also, the E-virus, aka what Eveline is, that's so far removed from all the other viruses (or plaga), that it maybe saw them out of a window of a moving train. And that's me being generous. Even the fricking RE6 styled regenerators that are named something completely different, made more sense than those black sludge creeps that Eveline made with the E-virus powers. 
And yes, I'm calling it the E-virus for simplicity's sake. I'm not even sure what it is actually called. and I'm not gonna go and find out. To me, it's E-virus and that's that. 
Now, what I wanted to really say, is that the first chapter of the game, the guest house mainly, reminded me of the Slender games. Mainly the long-ish one with the flaming forest near the end and two different endings based on what difficulty you're playing at. BTW: I didn't play it, just saw it on youtube cause I had a phase where I needed to know anything and everything Slender related.

Back to RE 7. The main reason I didn't like it, well, I'm an Ada and Leon sucker. If a Resident Evil game doesn't have at least one of them, I'm probably not gonna like it. Some people may think that these characters are overused, but I think that they are classic. And hopefully, if there shall ever be an RE8 game, they will bring them back. But for now, there's at least the RE2 remake to look forward to. I'm definitely playing that one. 
And now I'm deviating from RE7 again. Oh well, that's what you get when I decide to talk [write] about a game that I didn't like and it's part of a series that has games I adore. Though the one thing I do have to give to RE7 is that the graphics are really fantastic. Scenery, atmosphere, great, but to me, it just doesn't really fit into the RE universe. 
Hell, even the fricking live action movies fit in better than this... Their feeble attempt to tie it into the series by bringing Chris Redfield at the end of the game, well, it seemed cheap. Seemed like an afterthought. 
Sorry, but RE7 did not sit well with me. However, if you liked it, that's your choice and I'm not trying to tell you it's the wrong one. I'm just saying that I picked differently and I'm not gonna change my mind. Also, if you came here to learn more about the story itself, well, tough luck. I'm not spoiling any more than I already did. Which, I don't think I spoiled much... 

So, some conclusion... I did not like it. It has no Ada or Leon. The first person style doesn't fit with the rest of the RE series and the 'zombies' in this one were weird. Too weird. I wish they would hurry up with the RE2 remake so that I may overwrite this thing from my brain. If you have different opinion, I would love to hear it. It will probably not change my own, but hey, feel free to share.

~AnnElfwind

No comments:

Post a Comment