Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Encanto [2021]


 Yesterday I have finally watched Encanto. I mean, there are so many different theories on youtube I didn't want to watch without seeing the movie... But the premise of the movie just didn't speak to me so I was putting it off. And yesterday I finally had some spare time after finishing Venom: Let there be Carnage. So I bit the bullet and I have to say that as much as people are saying they enjoyed it, there just was too much music and singing. I don't mind (and even enjoy) the occasional song in a movie but this was just too much and to me, it just felt like it totally broke the narrative. I'm not saying it should have been completely song-less, but sometimes, less is more. 

I also didn't enjoy the main character - Mirabel. Honestly, Bruno was much more interesting. For at least half of the movie, he was just shrouded in mystery. And we weren't sure if he was the villain or not. At least that's what it felt like to me. But Mirabel, that's the usual case of a girl who doesn't fit saving the world (or family in this case). And in the end, there wasn't a villain at all! And I just think it needed one. I did finish the movie but it definitely wasn't my cup of tea. It was too plain. 

Or maybe I just watched it at the wrong time. Honestly, watching something like this right after finishing Venom 2? Probably not the best idea, but what else was I gonna watch... The other Marvel movies I want to watch are still only in kino-rip quality... So Encanto it was. 

And I was just disappointed. People are saying Encanto is better than Raja. Maybe. I didn't like Raja all that much either. Just, nope. I think I'm gonna just go back to my Chinese dramas. Right now that would be Demi-gods and semi-devils. And if I feel like it, I'll tell you about it when I finish it.

Share your thoughts about Encanto in the comments if you've seen it.

Bye!

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 11th of March, 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment