Saturday, January 30, 2021

Handsome Siblings [2020]


 I have recently finished another Chinese Drama. This time it's titled Handsome Siblings. It tells the story of two brothers (Jiang XianYu and Hua WuQue) that were separated at birth and told that they are each other's enemies. Only, they meet each other and realize that they have way too much in common and that they enjoy each other's company. And obviously, when one of them realizes that the other is the one he was told he has to kill, he only does it because it was an order from his aunts. He doesn't really want to do it, but still, he tries. And fails again and again. Until they finally agree to have the fated duel in three months flat. And enjoy the time they have together until then. 

Unfortunately, we also get a few annoying females thrown in the mix... I don't really like them, but they are somewhat necessary to move the plot along. Also, one of them keeps stepping between them whenever they start fighting at the beginning. Before agreeing to the duel in three months' time. 

There's also another huge subplot of the one that instigated the death of their parents. He changed his name and become a hero. He and his son are both complete and utter morons. Unfortunately, they are smart and we don't see their downfall for a very long time. Though in the end, it's a bit of a let down as the real hero defeats one and the other gets it from the girl he pretended to love. Oh well, they deserved it. And more. 

I could have done without the female involving romance, but considering this is China, I think we can count ourselves lucky to even have two boys hug each other... At the same time, this is not tagged BL so it's not like I even have anything I could feasibly complain about... And I'm not even that big a fan of incest... Still, these two MCs would be so good together! Obviously, the first thing I did after finishing the series was to go and find me some fanfiction about those two. And wasn't that disappointing... 

There are only three fanfics to this whole fandom... Sad... And at least one of them is more or less just PWP. And I don't read that. Hopefully, there will be more with time, but so far, the fanfic side of this drama is quite disappointing. I'm willing to wait though. I'm gonna wait and hopefully, I'll get a nice story involving those two without the female involving romance. 

The drama reminded me a little bit of The Untamed. Mostly because of the two MCs. One is somewhat emotionless and the other one is free-spirited and smiles a lot. Also the clothing choices - White (light blue) and black (dark gray or similar). 

It's definitely a lot less dark than The Untamed though. Still, it's Wuxia, and it's epic, and if you like Chinese historical dramas, you'll like it. Regardless if you prefer BL or not. And I finally understand the difference between Wuxia and Xianxia. I mean, I always knew there was a difference, but wasn't sure what exactly the difference was. And now I know. 

Whatever, go watch it and tell me what you think. Okay? 

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 22nd of January, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment