Thursday, May 14, 2015

The One Thing I Hate About Fanfiction

Or... Maybe two. But for the time being, I'll try to keep it on only one of them. The one I will write about is basically when you are looking for a good story. A summary of a story catches your attention and so you start reading. It even has all your favourite characters from the fandom. 
And so you read, one chapter after another and then BAM! Suddenly, there are pairings in the story. And the pairings are completely what you don't like. For example, in my case, I'm not a big fan of heterosexual pairings. I prefer yaoi or slash. But admittedly, there are a handfull exceptions to the rule, but that is beside the point. The point is, that I think, that pairings, if the story contains them, should always be written in the summary. Or at least if it's slash, fem-slash or hetero. 
I'll give you an exmple of what I think it should not be like. 
I recently read this great story. It had amazing idea, combining Bleach and Naruto in what I think is at least relatively original way. But! There was nothing about the pairings in the summary or any of the author's notes in the chapters. So I was collosally dissapointed when Ichigo is paired with Orihime and Naruto with Hinata. 
Nothing against those girls, but I just can't get over certain pairings. 
One of them being anything involving Orihime because I simply don't like her. So I gues my previous statement that I have nothing against them, is null and void. 
Another character that I can't stand with one single exception, is Ginny Weasley. The only exception is in Batsutousai's stories Abandon and Reclaim where she's at least not paired up with Harry. I'm all for Ginny bashing, but like I said, in this one case, I have nothing against her.
And the last character that I enjoy reading when they bash her, is Tea (Anzu) from Yu-Gi-Oh! I just can't help it. She seems like such a bitch! And again, you can have amazing stories, but the moment Yugi is paired with her, I stop reading regardless of how amazing the story is...
And that's why I think these things should be mentioned in the summaries. Simply because then some of us won't be waisting our times with stories that turn out to be not to our liking. 
The worst, though, is when you manage to read almost the whole story only for it to have a pairing you detest in the last five chapters... In situations like this I feel like strangling the author. Because the stories I usually read, are above 100k words and it makes me feel like I just waisted SO MUCH TIME!
So a shout out to all the authors of fanfiction: Please, put the pairings in the summaries! Or at least leave a note wether it is slash, fem-slash or hetero! Or if it doesn't have pairings at all, write that in the summary too!

Okay, I'm sorry, if I just offended someone, but it really drives me crazy when I'm reading a great story only for it to be ruined by a pairing I hate!

Now, I decided to mentione the other thing regarding fanfictoin that I hate. It is genderbending. Mainly from male to female! Gah! All the promising stories I had to stop reading simply because I can't get over genderbending! 
Just yesterday! I've read a story. It was from the Assassin's Creed fandom. It focused on Ezio and how the others called him a she. At first, I thought it was simply because the author decided to make him more feminine, because I think that he could pull it off. But no! He was completely made into she. And there was nothing about it in the summary. And becuase I don't always read the author's notes, I overlooked the warnings where it was written. And only near the end, I managed to put two nad two together... 
Annoying...
What is it with people and genderbending! 
I mean, I managed to accept MPREG stories and it no longer so much as faze me, but I don't think I will ever be able to get over genderbend. Simply because I prefer the characters in their male bodies. Because then there's more slash going around.
I mean, if you want to put Harry together with I don't know who.. Let's go with Lucius for this example. It means you want them together regardless of the gender of either of them! So WHY THE HELL DO YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE GENDER?!
IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!!!
So if anyone is reading this, explain to me what is so great about genderbending! Thanks.

~AnnElfwind

No comments:

Post a Comment