Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Umbrella Academy - Season 2

 Took me two days to watch the second season. And some months to force myself to do it. I was postponing it like crazy. In my defense, I had some pretty cool anime and a Chinese drama to finish first. Major spoiler to start. Because I'm not happy about it. We lose Ben somewhere in the last two episodes of this season. Permanently. Or at least it seems that way. But he finally passes on, after saving Vanya. And he was always my favorite character so I'm really not happy about it, but considering Umbrella Academy has a thing about not everything being as it seems at first glance, I'm gonna wait and see what season 3 has to say about it. 

The siblings are scattered in (I think) three years before Kennedy's assassination. And then they reunite and try to get back home. In the process of doing that, Diego gets locked in an asylum, Luther is something like a cage fighter or something similar in some underground rink or something, I'm not entirely clear on that. Allison gets married, Klaus starts a cult, Ben learns he can possess someone and falls in love, Five witnesses another apocalypse and Hazel's death and Vanya loses her memory and then falls in love. With a woman. Not that that's important. What is important is that she saves a kid's life and somehow gifts him her powers. Or more like a copy of her powers, because she doesn't lose hers.

And then she gets accused of being KGB or a Russian spy or something. And she gets put through this torture. And remembers. Some of her siblings are going to save her, but the only one that can get close enough is Ben. And, he saves her. At the expense of his existence. 

And while this is happening, Reginald Hargreeves is planning something and is revealed to us as an alien. Which, those who read the source material, would already know. We know he mentioned the dark side of the moon, whatever that means. 

And Five and Luther are going to confront Five's past self and try to get the briefcase so that they can go home. Epic fail, all the siblings get blamed for the president's death and then they go and save a kid from the Commission. Yes, the one Vanya gifted her powers to. 

After a fight during which Five learns to time travel properly, or more like listens to some good advice, the Commission gets more or less wiped out and the siblings can finally go home. 

Only, the timeline is still fucked up. There's no Umbrella Academy, Reginald is alive and there's something called Sparrow Academy and an evil Ben is there and his portrait is hanging on the wall. And that's where it cuts off. 

So to learn anything more, we have to wait for the next season. And who knows when that's gonna be. Hopefully soon. But probably not. Still, this season answered some questions for us but left us with a fuckton of more. I think that the major thing we learned was that Vanya can control her powers if given some incentive. And I think that saving a kid's life is as good an incentive as any. So yeah. 

And I still wanna know about the dark side of the moon. And not the Mulan type. Because yes, that's the first thing that came to my mind when I heard that phrase. 

So yeah. Anybody have any theories about anything? I would like to hear them, so share? Maybe? In the comments? 

~AnnElfwind

Written on the 28th of October, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment